About the Course
During this 1-day course, you will learn how to develop and share reports and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI. During the course, students will use excel data sets as examples to explore various features and functionalities of MS Power BI and learn the underlying concepts that make Power BI Desktop such a powerful Business Intelligence tool. Upon completion of this course, students will gain a solid foundational and practical knowledge of the tool which will prepare you for more advanced courses.
Who should do this course?
This course is suitable for excel users who wants to implement BI to create reports and dashboard or SQL Server report creators who are interested in alternative methods of presenting data.
This Power Bi Beginner course is suitable for the people who have no or very little understanding of Microsoft Power BI tool. To get the most out of this course, some expertise in using Microsoft Excel is necessary especially with VLOOKUP and Pivot table. An understanding of key business constructs such as revenue, profitability, and financial reporting is desirable but not necessary.
Online Live - Course Dates
Online Live Class Dates
In-Class - Course Dates
Expand full topic list
Unit 1: Understanding Business Intelligence
- Why is Data Analytics Important?
- Why is conventional Data Analysis Process inefficient?
- What is Business Intelligence?
- Steps & concepts involved in Business Intelligence
- Other BI Tools in the Market
- What is Self Service BI?
Unit 2: Understanding Power BI
- Power BI (Desktop Vs Mobile Vs Service)
- Licenses (Free Vs Pro Vs Premium)
- What makes Power BI different from other BI Tools?
- Frequent Updates and Changes
- BI Steps in Power BI
- Languages Involved in Power BI (Power Query, DAX, R)
Unit 3: Getting Started with Power BI
- Setting up Office 365 Enterprise E3 trial account
- Signing up for Power BI
- Upgrading to Power BI PRO
- Downloading Power BI Desktop
Unit 4: Getting Data in Power BI Desktop
- Understanding Power BI Navigation
- Exploring Different Data Sources in Power BI
- Getting Data from Web
- Getting Data from Azure SQL Data base
- Getting Data from Azure SQL Database using SQL statement
- Getting Data from Access File
- Getting Data from Excel
Unit 5: Data Transformation
- Navigating Query Editor
- What is Query?
- What is Data Transformation?
- Removing empty rows
- Removing irrelevant Columns
- Renaming Columns
- Changing Data Types
- Duplicating Columns
- Splitting Columns
- Merging Columns
- Correcting Spelling Mistakes
- Changing cases
- Trimming & Cleaning
Unit 6: Introduction to Power Query (M Formula Language)
- Exploring Applied Steps
- Introducing idea of repeatable workflows
- Updating Applied Steps
- Deleting Applied Steps
- Renaming Applied Steps
- Understanding the Code behind every step
- Automating Data Transformation process via repeatable workflows
- Exploring Advanced Editor
- Loading and Applying Data
Unit 7: Data Modelling
- Understand Navigation of Relationship view
- What is Data Model?
- What is a unique Identifier?
- Creating a new relationship
- Editing a relationship
- Updating a relationship
- Understanding Cardinality
- Understanding Cross Filter Direction
- Why is Data Model more efficient than a Flattened Data Set?
Unit 8: Introduction to DAX
- What can we calculate using DAX?
- What is Calculated Columns and Calculated Measure?
- How is DAX different from Excel Functions?
- Calculating a column using DAX
- Calculating a measure using DAX
- Formatting Data types
- Changing property of a Data Type
Unit 9: Data Visualization
- Understand Navigation of Report View
- Creating a Bar Chart
- Formatting a Bar Chart
- Changing Chart Type
- Creating and Formatting a Column Chart
- Creating and Formatting a Line Chart
- Creating and Formatting a Pie Chart
- Creating and Formatting a Tree Chart
- Creating and Formatting a Card
- Creating and Formatting a Matrix
- Creating and Formatting a Table
- Creating and Formatting BubbleMap Visualization
- Creating a Filled Map Visualization
Unit 10: Creating Custom Visuals
- Getting Custom Visuals from the Store
- Creating Sankey Chart
- Creating Radar Chart
Unit 11: Visual Interaction
- Understanding Visual Interaction
- Turning visual interaction on and off
Unit 12: Exploring Filters
- Cross Filtering through visuals
- Creating a slicer
- Visual level filter
- Page Level Filter
- Report Level Filter
- Drill through filter
- Top N Filter
Unit 13: Creating Custom Slicers
- Getting Custom Slicer From Store
- Creating Enlighten Word Flag Slicer
- Creating Chiclet Slicer
- Inserting Images in Chiclet Slicer
Unit 14: Exploring Power BI Desktop Features
- Exploring visual options (focus mode, show data, spotlight, export)
- Create and Duplicate New Pages
- Create image, text boxes and shapes
- Switch between phone and web layout
- Save the report
- Print the report
- Publish report to Power Bi Service
Unit 15: Power Bi service Features
- Log in to Power Bi Service
- Understand Navigation
- Opening and Editing your report in Power BI service
- Publishing to web
- Converting report to a Power Point
- Generating a QR Code
- How to get Data directly into Power Bi Service
- Importing Data Vs Uploading Data
Unit 16: Dashboard
- Pin visuals from report to dashboard
- Difference between report and dashboard
- Why visual interaction isn't supported in Dashboards
- Resizing and moving a visual
- Creating a video tile
- Creating an image tile
- Applying alert on Card
- Pinning complete report to Dashboard
- Customizing dashboard for mobile view
- Sharing dashboard with colleagues
- Viewing Shared Reports
Unit 17: Natural Language Query
- What is NLQ and why is it a breakthrough
- Create a Card using NLQ
- Create a Table Using NLQ
- Create Bar Visual Using NLQ
- Pin the visuals directly to your dashboard
Unit 18: Power Bi publisher for excel
- Installing the Add-in
- Activating this Add-in in Excel
- Connect your Excel Workbook with Power Bi
- Pin a chart from Excel to Power Bi Dashboard
- Pin a pivot table from Excel to Power Bi Dashboard
- Update the Chart in Power Bi Dashboard from Excel
Unit 19: Quick Insights
- What is Quick Insight Tool?
- How to create quick insights of a dataset
- Explore visuals created by this option
- Pin a visual to dashboard
Unit 20: Sample Reports and Dashboard
- Getting the Sample reports and Dashboard
- How samples are very helpful?
- Editing sample reports and dashboard
Unit 21: Power Bi mobile
- Downloading power bi mobile app and logging in
- Understand Navigation
- How to see underlying reports
- Annotate visuals and share using other apps
- How to see our own dashboard
- How to see dashboard shared with us
- See report using QR scanner
- Exploring mobile sample reports
Fill in your details to have a training consultant contact you to discuss your training needs.
Thank you for your enquiry. A consultant will contact with you shortly to assist in your enquiry.
To return to the top of the page, click here.